In Costa Rica’s Provincia de Guanacaste, the RIESTER Foundation saw an opportunity to create a world-class model of habitat conservation that could serve to protect native flora and fauna and provide educational opportunities for the local community.
Established through a Conservation Easement Agreement, the RIESTER Reserve is a lush, riparian, deciduous rainforest that supports a rich variety of wildlife, including Howler and Capuchin monkeys, Scarlet macaws, the Motmot, Coati, Nine-banded armadillos and the Blue Morphos butterfly.
RIESTER Reserve projects completed:
- Full-time caretaker
- Path and concrete/rock bench to small waterfall
- Decks/walkway over ravine for interesting plant and animal viewing
- Reforestation with 1000’s of native trees
- Additional paths to interesting plant and animal viewing
- Plant nursery growing plants from seeds, cuttings and seedlings
- Watering hole/pond for native wildlife
- Benches made of concrete and rocks throughout Reserve